Thursday, July 11, 2019

Don't Be Crabby / Hip Kit Club

Hey, friends!  I have a new layout to share today for Hip Kit Club :)  I used the 2019 June Hip Kits along with one of the cutest exclusive cut files for this month.  As soon as I saw this crab, I had to use it...haha!  I had the perfect photos to go with it and the matching title.

I started by cutting the crab and part of the title on white cardstock.  I wanted to paint the crab, so I coated it with gesso first.  I pulled out an older Color Kit and used the Alpine Ice Rose Shaker from Lindy's Stamp Gang.  It has a red tint to it, so I used that and a brush to apply the color along with a red gelato from my stash.  I used a big chunk of the beautiful Vicki Boutin cloud paper as my background.  I also tore a few other papers...one from Heidi Swapp and one from Simple Stories.  I attached all of those to a sheet of white cardstock.


How cute is this crab?!  I added some black behind his eyes...I just smudged some black paint on a small scrap piece of cardstock and glued them on.  I used some Vicki Boutin packaging as a layer behind my photos as well as a few fussy cut flowers from a Simple Stories paper.  I fussy cut this circle from a Pocket Life card.


I love how torn edges create such awesome texture and dimension without even really trying.  I coated a lot of this area here with white gesso so I could add some color to it.  Down on the white area I used the Azure Sea Lindy's Magicals from the Color Kit mixed with Tilt a Wheel Teal.  I added more fussy cut flowers to create a little cluster.  I cut SUMMER (part of this cut file) on the ombre Simple Stories paper and stitched through it.


I wanted a little bit of mixed media behind the photo, so I mixed some Hottie Patottie Hot Pink Lindy's Magical with some white acrylic paint and smudged it on using a palette knife.  I also mixed in a bit of the Alpine Ice for more of a light red tint.


I layered in some darker blue tangled thread here for a pop of color and texture.  I also added in a cute sticker from the Heidi Swapp Sticker book.


I left the top part of the title solid white so it would stand out against the blue paper. I also machine stitched through that.  All the little gold stars are from the Heidi Swapp Sticker Book.


I love dimensional cut files!  This crab was meant to pop right off the page :)


Here are a few more close-ups of all the details...


I used Shimmerz Miner Miner 49er to add a few gold splatters...that was from an older Color Kit.



I had so much fun making this!  I hope it gives you some ideas to try on your next page.  Check out all the summer cut files...there are a ton this month!

Here's my process video:



Thanks for stopping in, and have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Missy! I LOVE your videos!! Could you tell me where/ how you print your photos? I particularly like this one with 3 in a row. Do you print at home? If so what program/ printer do you use? Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete