Saturday, December 19, 2020

Christmas Magic / Hip Kit Club

Happy Weekend, friends!  I'm back with another Christmas layout for Hip Kit Club.  I used the 2020 November Hip Kits again to make a fun mixed media page.  I also used a few of the exclusive tree cut files that you can find HERE.  (You must be a Hip Kit subscriber and have an account to log into to access the cut files).  I decided to make my own background using the Color Kit, and I went with a pink sky.  I had an idea to make a forest of trees with a sky behind it.  

I started with thick smooth white cardstock and coated it with clear gesso.  I used the Lindy's Magical Powder Rudolph's Nose Red mostly and mixed in a few other pink watercolors from older Color Kits.  I smudged in some white acrylic paint to add some cloudy effects, and then I splattered it on using a brush to create some snow.  Finally, I used the snowflake stencil with the white paint to add some subtle snowflakes against the pink.

After everything was done, I did use my fingers to smudge some of the Nuvo Glimmer Paste on the background...here you can see the sparkly glitter!  So gorgeous and easy to do.  I cut several of the trees on my Cameo using textured white cardstock.  I backed some of them using patterned papers and left some of them as is.  I layered them at different heights behind my photos.
I created a little cluster down below the photos using some of the flower die cuts and acetate branch pieces.  I popped up a few of the flowers to create some depth and added some pink thread.  I sorted through all of the puffy stickers and added some of those in, including the word "Christmas."  I mixed and matched with a chipboard sticker to create the rest of the title.
I usually have a hard time adding black to a light and airy Christmas page, but I wanted to on this layout.  My photos had black in them, and these branchy leaf pieces were perfect to add in pops of that color.
I know I talk about adhesive foam a lot...can you see the effects of it here?  Just by raising these flowers up off the page a little bit just makes them look so much better than lying flat.  That's just my opinion :)
I love how the background turned out.  I literally just added the powder, mixed it with water and started painting it on the paper.  I added more color & water...turned the page different directions...used a brush and my fingers.  Any way to apply the color is good...there are no rules :)
I also used the exclusive stamp set here.  I wanted to use a few of the small trees to give some scale up against the larger trees.  I also wanted to add in more pops of black, so these stamps were perfect.  You can see the Nuvo Paste I smudged on top of them :)


I added stars to a lot of the trees.  I used cardstock stickers and puffy heart stickers.
I also added some of the pink sequins to the green trees.  I love that sequins are so versatile.

In case you missed me gushing about this Nuvo Glimmer Paste over and over in my videos, I'll say it again...that stuff is AMAZING! :D
I mean come on!

I had a great time making this page, and I hope it inspires you in some way.  I'm a firm believer in using nontraditional colors on a holiday page.  You can still make your layout look Christmasy without using only red and green.  Sometimes that works, and sometimes you might just want to change it up :)

Here's my process video if you'd like to see how I made this:


Thanks for stopping by, and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment