Friday, March 8, 2019

Love This Dad Selfie / Hip Kit Club

Happy Friday, friends!  I'm so excited to back on the Hip Kit Club Design Team for another term!  This marks four years I've been on the team, and I've loved every second of it.  Kimberly is a true master at creating the most amazing kits.  This DT was what inspired me to start creating process videos over on YouTube, and I haven't looked back since.  Here's the new DT in case you haven't seen the announcement yet.  I'm in awe of so many of these talented gals!



Today I'm sharing a new layout featuring the 2019 February Hip Kits, and my assignment this week was to incorporate punches.  So I pulled out three scalloped border punches from my stash and created a very textured and layered design.

I hadn’t used my border punches in a very long time, and I forgot how awesome they are.  I began by choosing several papers from the Main Kit.  I used three different scalloped punches to create three strips from each paper.  I layered them to create one big square of textured strips.  I used that as the basis for my design and built the rest from there.



I attached the big square then smudged a lot of white gesso over a lot of areas.  I pulled out some of the Prima Opal Magic Paints from the Color Kit and used a brush and some water to add some color to the coordinating areas.  I wanted a tone-on-tone look, so I kept all the blue in the blue area and so forth.  I also used a few Shimmerz colors from previous Color Kits.  I went through all the embellishments and chose pieces that matched my four main colors.


I used a lot of the Pinkfresh Studio Joyful Day puffy stickers, die cuts and stickers in various places.  I used some of the Pinkfresh Studio mutli-colored puffy alphas for my title, which I also did according to color.  Before I glued any embellishments down, I machine stitched through some of the strips using white thread.


I love this soft peachy pink color.  Here I created a little cluster using all Pinkfresh Studio pieces and a fussy cut heart that came from a Crate Paper sheet.  I love how all the scalloped edges are folded up and create some awesome dimension.


My photo is of a seflie that my husband took of him and our girls while out riding in the golf cart one day.  It shows real life, and it makes me smile!  That little Carta Bella truck die cut made me think of going for a leisurely ride down a country road, so I thought it was perfect for this page.  And it matched that color area!


Here are a few more shots of all the texture, colors and dimension.




I love color blocking like this because it kind of limits what you can use in what areas.  If you only use blue things in the blue section, you only have so many things to choose from.  I think this helps to narrow down choices and makes it less overwhelming.


I hope this inspires you in some way!  I had lots of fun putting it together with the February Kits.  Pull out those old punches if you have some and see what you can come up with!  Be sure to check out my process video here for more details!


Thank you so much, friends!  See you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment