Thursday, July 23, 2020

Feelin' the Summer Vibe / Hip Kit Club

Hey, friends!  I have a new layout to share for Hip Kit Club :)  This is my first page using the 2020 July Hip Kits, and they are full of bright summer goodness.  I was inspired by everything, so it was hard to pick where to start.  I had to scrap a pool photo (of course...haha), and since it had so much blue in it, I chose contrasting colors to design with.

Most of the goodies I used are from Dear Lizzy.  I tore a few pieces of patterned papers to use as part of the background.  I used white textured cardstock for the base, and I coated that with clear gesso.  I smudged some white gesso on the pink paper behind where my photo is.  I used several products on the bottom part here, and it was quite an adventure (you'll see that in my video).  I used the orange and blue Prima Ink Pads from last month's Color Kit.  I pulled in some navy blue Shimmerz from a very old Color Kit to pull in that color.  I used some of the pink Art Philosophy Watercolor from the April Kits...just a big combination of various products to get all those colors.  I even splattered some gold at the end from the Jen Hadfield Gold Glittler Spray from back in November.  It took a while to get it just like I wanted, but in the end I love how it looks behind the title.


I used a lot of the Dear Lizzy vellum stickers as embellishments.  I stuck them to white cardstock first and then fussy cut them so they'd be true to color.  I popped them up with adhesive foam and added some thread. I fussy cut most of the title from Pocket Life cards.  The "summer" I cut from an exclusive die cut.


I fussy cut a few large pink flowers from a Jen Hadfield paper to tuck in around the photo.  I wanted to bring in another pop of the navy blue, so I did that with 

These are more of the Dear Lizzy stickers. I just love the rich deep colors!  At the end of the layout, I added a few Maggie Holmes small phrase stickers.  Behind my photo I layered some white tissue paper and a few Pocket Life cards.


One of my favorite things to do on bold papers is add white splatters.  The easiest way to do that is to water down some white acrylic paint and use a brush to flick it onto the paper.  It dries beautifully, and it really stands out.  Here you can see the softening effect of the white gesso behind the photo.  I just fades out some of the pink color and makes the photo pop a bit more.  I decided to pull in some purple since there is some of that color in her swimsuit.  I used a purple flower on the other side and some purple thread on this side.


Yay for cute flamingos!  I almost forgot to mention that I added some ink to some of these "summer" letters.  I just rubbed the orange & blue ink pads from last month onto the blue and orange letter.  I had originally glued them down, but decided to peel them up and add adhesive foam behind them.  That's why they look a little weathered...haha.


I distressed the edges of the Pocket Life cards here for added texture.  I also added in more of the clear stickers.  I stuck these right to the pink background instead of backing them with white paper.  It just depends on the sticker, the color and what you're sticking it to.  If you can see through the sticker, anything colored is going to change the color once you stick it down.


A few more close-ups of all the pretty goodies!


Oh, I also forgot to mention that I fussy cut the little sun up top from another Pocket Life card.











I hope this gives you some ideas to try with your July Kits...they are chock full of summery beauty.  And there are a ton of summer cut files coming, so be on the lookout for those!

Here's my process video:



Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment