Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Just Smile / Hip Kit Club

Happy Wednesday!  Here's my newest layout for Hip Kit Club featuring the 2020 April Hip Kits :)  There are so many opportunities for rainbows in these kits...and I couldn't resist!  I was inspired by the beautiful Crate Paper Sweet Story collection, and I began by cutting out rainbow arcs from one of the rainbow patterned papers in the Main Kit. I pulled in other papers that had matching colors, and I cut arcs from them as well.  I wound up layering them to make a wonky rainbow.  I used that as the start of my design and went from there.

I used all three Art Philosophy Watercolors from the Color Kit.  I also mixed in a few Lindy's Gang sprays from previous kits.  I used thick white cardstock as my background and I did coat a lot of it with clear gesso first.  I used the watercolors on some plastic packaging and smooshed the color down first.  I came in with a brush and more water to help spread the colors around.  I wanted pink and yellow above the rainbow and blue and green beneath it.


After the background was dry, I arranged the rainbow and glued it down.  I machine stitched through each arc using matching thread colors.  I went through all the coordinating embellishments in the kits and found lots of great things!  I did a loose "tone-on-tone" here, meaning I added some pink pieces on the pink arcs, yellow on yellow, etc.  I hand cut a few random clouds from scrap white cardstock to add in, too.


I fussy cut some flowers from a Carta Bella patterned paper and used a few of the matching stickers in a few places.  I LOVE these title alphas!  They're holographic and pick up so many colors when the light hits them!


I continued on with blues and greens toward the bottom here with a mix of Carta Bella and Crate Paper stickers and chipboard.  I added in some enamel dots and my journaling down below.


I used three small black & white photos to really help the rainbow colors pop.  Plus these photos were taken at night and they were really grainy.  Converting them to black & white takes some of that away, and you're not limited to specific colors.  I did add in some matching tangled thread in a few places :)


Ahhhh....pink, orange and yellow!  LOVE!  I was also excited that this butterfly sticker was the perfect colors to add to the green & blue arc sections!  I added adhesive foam behind a lot of the pieces to create some dimension.



These large pink foam Thickers are sooooo good.  They stick so well and I just love the color.  To add some life to these clouds, I pulled a grey and blue gelato from my stash and smudged some color around the edges.  This just gives them a bit of depth so they aren't starke white and flat.


Here are a few more close-up shots :)





I really love how this layout turned out!  I honestly don't think you can go wrong with rainbows.  These kits make it easy to create rainbow pages...yeah!  I hope this inspires you in some way today.  I do have a process video for this HERE on the HKC channel.

Thanks for stopping by, and I'll see you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment