Saturday, September 28, 2019

Magical Kisses / Using Older Supplies

Happy Saturday, friends!  I finally had some time to create a layout for fun...and I used older supplies :)  It has been since last November since I did an "older stash" layout, and it felt so good!  I was inspired by the amazing Paige Evans and her layouts featuring origami shapes.  She's made origami stars and more recently hearts in this layout.  I have never tried it, so I thought I'd give it a go.  I searched Pinterest for ideas and came across an origami butterfly tutorial.  I took me a few tries, but I finally got the instructions down and I made a bunch of them!

I used papers from the Dear Lizzy Day Dreamer collection from several years ago as well as a few older lines from Bella Blvd.  They  mixed and matched really well, and so I went with it.  I explain how to make these butterflies in my video, but there are a lot of tutorials on Pinterest as well.  It doesn't matter how big or small you want to make them...as long as your paper is a perfect square it will work.  I made several different sizes and colors to scatter around the page.  I used a Dear Lizzy paper as my background and added lots of Shimmerz to it :)


These butterflies are pretty dimensional, but I modified them so they'd be a bit flatter since I wanted to stitch through them on my layout.  I was able to run them through my sewing machine after I lightly taped them down.  They are still quite dimensional, but still flat enough to fit into a page protector.


I didn't add to many extra "things" to the page since it was quite full already with the butterflies.  I added a few Bella Blvd stickers and a few stickers from an older MAMBI sticker book from Michaels.  I did add lots of sequins from SpiegelMom Scraps at the end for some added shine and texture.


Before I glued anything down, I created my background.  I coated a lot of the yellow background with white gesso.  Since this was a thin piece of patterned paper, it really wasn't sturdy enough to hold a lot of wet sprays.  The gesso created a barrier between the paper and the liquids so I could spray a lot and let the colors spread and run together.  Nothing soaked through the paper.  I used some of my favorite Shimmerz colors...Coloringz Well Blue Me Down, Vibez Jeni B Bleu, Spritz Cotton Candy and Inklingz Coral Reef.  I also splattered some gold Miner Miner 49er at the end.


I just sprayed the colors onto my page, spritzed it with water and then tilted the page from side to side, allowing the colors to run all over the place.  The Coral Reef isn't a spray, so I used a brush to apply that.  These colors matched the butterflies perfectly.  I also used those same colors to add splatters with my brush after everything was dry.


I mixed and matched for my title here.  I used a shiny gold vellum sticker from the Heidi Swapp Sticker Book.  To tone down the very shiny gold, I smudged some white gesso over it.  I didn't want to just stick it straight down, so I stuck it to some vellum and then fussy cut it out.  This made it a die cut that I could place wherever.  I used some big pink Bella Blvd stickers for "kisses."  They were such a soft pink that they kind of blended in and didn't stand out very well.  To fix that, I used the Cotton Candy Spritz and a small brush to paint the bottom of the letters.  This made them a tad darker and made them more visible.


That's pretty much it...haha.  I took lots of close-ups because I just love all this pattern and dimension from all angles!




This is another cute Bella Blvd sticker.



I honestly had so much fun making these butterflies!  Once I got it down, they were easy to make.  Sometimes I don't want to use a cut file or my punches, so this was a neat alternative.  I hope it inspires you to try it...I definitely want to do it again!

Here's my process video....I hope my origami explanation makes sense....haha!



Thank you so much for stopping by, and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment