Saturday, November 24, 2018

Using Older Supplies / Yeah Yeah Summer Vibes

Happy Saturday, friends!  I'm back today to share a new layout I made using up some older supplies.  I pulled out the Studio Calico Print Shop paper pad that I've had sitting on my shelf for years.  I pulled two papers to use as my background.  I was in the mood to create a summery mixed media page, so I did just that.

I tore the pink and yellow paper and attached it to the black and white tiny grid paper.  I smudged down a lot of white gesso to prepare the papers for the liquid sprays and paint.  It also gave me some white space to work with.  I hadn't planned on going "grungy" with this page, but it just sort of took that turn.  I embellished with pieces from the Basic Grey Highline collection, some Vicki Boutin die cuts, some Crate Paper Good Vibes pieces and some MAMBI stickers.


I used lots of Shimmerz on the background here.  I love that you can still see some of the grid background through the color.  I pulled out some of my older wooden stamps here and stamped them on the background.  I mixed and matched the title with some Basic Grey chipboard, some Vicki Boutin Thickers and a "vibes" die cut.  I traced around the black Thickers with a white pen to make them show up a bit more and then stitched through the letters with blue thread.


The first thing I did behind the photo is create a painted frame onto the background.  I used some light blue acrylic paint mixed some blue Shimmerz.  I scraped it down with a palette knife and made it look messy and uneven.  I also splattered some of the paint around with a brush.  I did wind up machine stitching around the frame with some black thread.  I used a lined wooden stamp here to create some sketchy lines on the background as well as a flower stamp.  I used the black paint to create the black splatters and then added in some black clear MAMBI stickers.


I raised the photo up by layering a Crate Paper pom pom frame under the right side and some adhesive foam behind the rest of it.  I sprayed some white cardstock pink and used it as a layer behind the photo as well as a black & white polka dotted bag from my stash.


I printed my photo in black & white so it would pop against all the background colors.  I love this look because everything stands out and doesn't blend together.


I did add some adhesive foam behind the YEAH chipboard piece to add some dimension, and I used a few of the Basic Grey stickers on top of the photo.


Here are a few more close-ups...



I created a cluster over on the right combining more of the same pieces.  The blue strip is a piece of  a Project Life card I had left over from a Hip Kit Club kit.  I really love how all these colors & pieces look together.


This was so much fun to put together!  I hope it inspires you in some way or at least gives you some ideas to try on your next page.

I have a process video here if you're interested:



Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment