Friday, October 2, 2015

Miss Hot Wheels / My Scraps & More

It's Friday!  Yay!  Today I'm sharing a layout that I created for last week's Throwback Thursday Challenge over on the My Scraps & More forums.  I challenged our members to create a layout using older product, old Thickers and a shaped photo.

I pulled out some older Studio Calico papers from the Wanderlust and Brighton Pier collections.  I did a lot of mixed media work on the background.  I began with clear gesso and then used blue, green and yellow gelatos to create a watercolor effect.  I used my 1.5" circle punch to punch out a bunch of circles from various patterned papers and then cut them all into fourths.  I mixed and matched them all, creating a lot of little uneven pie charts.  All the colors and patterns were really busy, so I went over a lot of the background with white gesso to tone it all down.


I love how white gesso blends and fades away some of the brightness and pattern.  You can still see it, but it's just not as bold.  I also used a circle stamp from my stash to stamp around some of the circles, and I machine stitched some criss cross patterns on some of them as well.


I have been wanting to use this "Love" Thicker ever since it came out, but it just hasn't worked for whatever reason.  This was the perfect design to finally use it!  After I added these strips of paper, I went over them with white gesso and some pink gelatos.  I added in some washi, some flair buttons and a few stickers from Simple Stories DIY Boutique.


I used a 3" punch to create some layers behind my photo, and I machine stitched around it.  I love all the color going on here and the dimension from the pop dots under the photo.


Here's one more close-up...I added in more machine stitching and tangled thread.  I think I may have a thread addiction :)  That cute arrow clip is from Evalicious.


You can check out my process video if you'd like to see how this layout came together from start to finish.  I hope you enjoy it!



Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment