Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Twas the Night Before Christmas / Hip Kit Club

Happy Tuesday, friends!  I'm here with a new layout for the Hip Kit Club featuring the 2018 December Hip Kits.  I’m not tired of scrapping Christmas photos!  I incorporated one of the free December cut files as part of my background design.  My photo is from Christmas Eve, so I cut a big 24 from the numbers set.  I used white cardstock for the background, and I used a lot of goodies from the Color Kit to add texture and color.


I still have a lot of the cute holiday die cuts left in the Main Kit, so I used a lot of those around my photos.  This cute Santa was perfect, and I love how he looks peeking around the side of the photo.  I used some packaging and a piece of patterned paper behind my photo, and to raise it all up I added some adhesive foam under it.


Here you can see all the layers and dimension.  I added an exclusive wood veneer button by the Santa as well as a black clear sticker and some light blue thread.


Aren’t these animals so adorable?  I arranged them to the left of the photo and added some adhesive foam under a few of them.


I wanted to jazz up the 24, so before I glued them down I ran them through my sewing machine.  I used some gold thread to add some fun stitching around the edges.


I think the stitching adds some really great texture, interest and shine.


For the background, I first added clear gesso to prep the cardstock.  I used the snowflake stencil from the Color Kit along with the Spun Sugar Dazzlerz.  On top of that, I used a few blue tones of Shimmerz sprays and paints from various Color Kits.  I used The Holly & The Ivy from the December Color Kit as well as Well Blue Me Down and Deep Blue Sea from older kits.  I spritzed some water over them and turned my paper different directions to let the colors run and blend.


The texture paste created some awesome detail on the background…so cool!


I mixed and matched my title alphas here.  I changed the color of “Christmas” by covering it with white gesso first.  After that dried, I painted Shimmerz Sunflower over it to give it a gold shimmer.  That color was from a previous Color Kit as well.  The red alphas are exclusive this month, and I love how small they are.


I hope this gives you some fun ideas to try on your next mixed media layout.  It’s fun to create your own background like this!  Be sure to check out my process video for all the details.


 Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great day!

2 comments:

  1. hi! lovely layout! what sewing machine do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I haven't viewed this process video yet. I'm going to look for it.

    ReplyDelete