Thursday, May 18, 2017

Island Vibes / Hip Kit Club

Happy Thursday, everyone!  I'm back today to share a new layout for Hip Kit Club using the 2017 May Hip Kits.  This is my first one using these kits, and I love how it turned out.  Right away I was inspired by this beautiful Dear Lizzy paper from the Main Kit I used as a background.  It's like a pretty watercolor sky, and for the first time in a LONG time, I didn't do any mixed media work on the background.  It just didn't need it...it was beautiful the way it was :)  You can also find it in the Paper Kit.

I used one of Jana's cut files and enlarged it.  The theme for this day was to supersize something, so I made the sun & cloud really big.  I cut it on white cardstock and then used the beautiful Prima Watercolor Confections from the Color Kit to color it.  Once it dried, I adhered some vellum behind the open sun.  It adhered it to the background and then used some matching embroidery thread to hand stitch around the edges.  I love how the sun's rays curl up off the page...such awesome dimension!  I embellished with a lot of the exclusive floral die cuts, some of the Shimelle clear floral stickers from the Sticker Book, some Dear Lizzy Puffy Stickers, enamel dots & a fussy cut floral cluster from a Project Life card.


I love how the title turned out.  I combined some of the exclusive blue alphas (LOVE that font!) with an exclusive wood veneer.  I fussy cut "today" from a Project Life card.  The colors were too perfect to pass up.  You can see all the dimension and layering here behind my photo.  I used a few Project Life cards and some floral die cuts under it as well as some tissue paper & adhesive foam.


I created another little cluster over to the left here using some Shimelle clear stickers, a flower die cut, a Crate Paper button, an exclusive puffy sticker, some tangled thread and a few enamel dots.  I love the texture created from the stitching here...such a great detail without taking away from anything.  To created this blue color on the cloud, I mixed some of the blue watercolor with some white acrylic paint.


Kim Watson & Kimberly Hutchinson did such a beautiful job with these exclusive flower die cuts.  Even the leaves are fabulous!  The clouds are also in that ephemera pack.  I think I used them all on this one page :)


Here's one of the clouds.  I love the gold metallic dots on it.  I tucked it in here under the sun and then added some enamel dots.  I also machine stitched through the white clouds.


I just had to fussy cut this flower cluster from a Project Life card.  The colors were perfect, and I love how it looks layered under the photo.


Here's one more close-up to show the colors, texture and dimension.


I hope this inspires you.  I had such a great time putting it together!  Here's my process video if you'd like to check it out!


Thanks so much for stopping by today!  See you soon :)


1 comment:

  1. Awesome layout! Really lovin' the clouds and sun and how you stitched them

    ReplyDelete