Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Crazy Love / Chickaniddy Crafts

Hello there, friends!  Happy Tuesday :)  I just love February!  I love creating layouts about the people I love.  It's so easy to scrap about love because......well, it's what you LOVE!  How many times can I say love?!  Haha!  I put together this design using a mix of Chickaniddy collections.

Before I get to the products and the details of which ones I used, I wanted to share how I added color to my background.  It's definitely easier to add color when you start with white cardstock.  I wanted to begin this layout with this gorgeous patterned paper.  To make my colors stay true to their tones, I used white gesso first.  I literally just dabbed my finger into the bottle and smudged it on where I knew I wanted to add paint.  It acts as a primer and helps your paint not seep through the paper.  Once it dries, it's easy to add watercolors or gelatos, which is what I used to create this background.


Supplies Used:  Date Night - Backwoods Lovin' DN140S10, Alpha Stickers DN14EB01, Mini Sticker Tags DN14EB04, Cutest Couple DN140S05; Scrumptious - Check Please SC140S09, Frolic in the Leaves SC140S11, Autumn Haze SC140S06, Corn on the Cob SC140S12, Home Sweet Home SC140S02, Fall Bouquet SC140S01; Twirly Girly - Brads TG14EB06, Enamel Hearts TG14EB07, Mini Sticker Tags TG14EB04, Sticker Sheet TG14EB02, Grandma's Quilt TG140S10; Jolly Good - Mini Brads JG14EB08; Other - The Cut Shoppe Pie Hearts & So in Love cut files, Shimmerz Colorings, Heidi Swapp Color  Shine, American Crafts Date Stamp, StazOn ink, Liquitex Gesso, Artist's Loft Watercolors, Faber Castell Gelatos, Brother Sewing Machine; Coats Thread, Sharpie pen, pop dots.

Here's how I went about creating this page:

1.  I began with selecting my background paper.  Isn't this piece beautiful?  It's from the Date Night collection, one of Chickaniddy's very first lines!  I think the bright colors really pop off of that neutral wood color.


2.  I decided to add several layers behind my photo and use a die cut.  My husband and I usually define "romance" as being goofy, telling jokes, poking fun at each other and just acting silly, so I wanted this layout to reflect our personalities.  The Scrumptious collection is FULL of my favorite bright colors.  I used several sheets from the collection to back the holes in a heart die cut (from The Cut Shoppe).  That is a really fun and easy way to add lots of color and pattern to your page...back a die cut!
3.  Once I decided on the colors I wanted, I just cut and tore several of them and messily layered them behind my photo and on top of the watercolor.  The title and sticker accents came later.


4.  After cutting and adhering all the pieces to the back of my die cut, I ran it through my sewing machine for added detail and then added pop dots.


5.  Lastly, I cut my title (also from The Cut Shoppe) and traced around it with a few pens.  I went back through the Date Night collection and added a few embellishments and some enamel hearts from the Twirly Girly line.


I had a blast making this, and I really love mixing up the collections.  You'd be surprised how you can get any type of subject scrapped with all of these lines put together!  I hope this inspires you to create a romantic layout :)

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Great tip for adding the color to a patterned paper Missy! I love that they are still bright against the wood grain!! And the stitching on the Pie Heart cut file is so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love all of the mist colors together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for date night! I NEED one so bad. It's been over a year :(. Love this happy page to remember it all! Those hearts are too fun and your palette so playful!

    ReplyDelete