Saturday, August 20, 2016

Simples Stories / 40 is Kind of a Big Deal

Hey there, and Happy Weekend! I'm just popping in today to share one of newest layouts for Simple Stories.  I used the Let’s Party collection for this one, and it was perfect for documenting this photo from my 40th birthday back in February. The colors are so vibrant, and the embellishments made it so easy to create this fun design. I wanted to accentuate the 40 since that’s a milestone birthday. I cut it really large on the HB2U patterned paper and then used a lot of the 6x6 Paper Pad papers to back it. I cut them into strips and adhered them diagonally. I used some white gesso to smudge over a lot of that area so I could add some watercolors. I used the packaging technique to get most of that color on. Once it was all dry, I machine stitched around the numbers for added detail and texture. I fussy cut “Big Deal” from the Hip Hip Hooray paper, and it made the best title. I have to say my favorite thing about this collection is all the fun banners! I used several on this page.

Here’s a close up of the fussy cut letters. I love stitching through titles…mainly to make sure they don’t move, but also for added interest. I used a few papers behind my photo as well as one of the larger chipboard frames. Sometimes it’s fun to use the frames as a layer instead of an actual frame. I love the dimension this created.


Here’s another smaller frame I used as a layering piece. I chose this one because of the bright yellow. I added some tangled thread, a few clear stickers and that amazing HAPPY sticker banner. I love the curve of it, and it makes it so festive! Banners make everything so fun. You can also see where I smudged the gesso. It gives everything a bit of a faded look without completely blending it away.


I used lots of die cuts from the Bits & Pieces pack here. I love these little flags, and I added pop dots under them to create some depth. I did the same with the Birthday die cut. Those faux glitter stars were the perfect embellishment for this part of the layout.


More banners! These are from the Bits & Pieces and Snap Pack. I added cute Enamel Dots to the ends so it looks like they’re attached to something. You can see the machine stitching up close here as well. I added another glitter star die cut and a Brad on top of the photo. This was so fun to put together!

Here's my process video for this page.  I hope you enjoy it and get some fun ideas for your next birthday layout!


Thanks for stopping in and for all your support!  Have a wonderful weekend!


1 comment:

  1. First off, there is no way you're 40!! Second, I love how you cut out the 40 and backed it with the 6x6 paper pad. I'm always struggling to come up with creative ways to use that smaller sized paper. What a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete