Saturday, August 6, 2016

Lovely Paige / Using Older Supplies

Happy Saturday, friends!  I'm back today to share another layout for my Using Older Supplies series I'm doing on my YouTube channel.  This layout took a completely different turn than I imagined.  Those flowers are made from a dark kraft piece of patterned paper from the Amy Tangerine Rise & Shine collection.  I know...that doesn't seem possible.  But it's true!  I challenged myself to use it up, and I tried to use it as it was, but the color just wouldn't work with anything I wanted to do.  So I chose to jazz it up with some paint and gelatos!  I added this beautiful floral cut file over what I created with the paint & gelatos and made it work for what I like.

I used bits and pieces from some older Simple Stories, more American Crafts sticker books (mostly Dear Lizzy) and some sequins from my stash.  The background paper is also from Rise & Shine.


Getting messy was the best part of making this page :)  I used lots of white paint and then came in with a rainbow array of gelatos.  I added lots of water to smudge the color around.  You can see exactly how I did this in my process video down below.  I added pop dots behind all the flowers and added some floral stickers here and there.  I also threw in some tangled thread in various colors.  This "lovely" wood veneer is from Freckled Fawn, and the alpha stickers are from Simple Stories.


I love how the pops dots make the flowers look!  I love the shadow effect here.  All the sequins are from my stash.  I didn't do much mixed media work on my background other than a little bit of white gesso brushed on around the flower edges and then lots of ink splatters.


These Simple Stories butterflies were super bright, so to tone them down to match my background colors, I brush white gesso over them.  An easy fix to soften anything!


Here's one more close-up.  I fussy cut these flowers from stickers from some Dear Lizzy sticker books.  Always try and think outside the box when looking at your embellishments.  You don't HAVE to use them as is.  You can always cut them to make them work for you :)


Here's my process video.  It's interesting to see how this layout was made from start to finish...it was quite a journey!  I hope you like it and get some fun ideas on what you can do with a piece of dark kraft paper :)



Thanks so much for stopping by today!

2 comments:

  1. Way to make those items work for you, love! Thanks for the tips! A gorgeous layout, no doubt... LOVE that cut file to bits and pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! WTG on using that paper up! I love how it got transformed!

    ReplyDelete