Monday, August 8, 2016

New YouTube Series: Stretch Your Sketch with Ashley Horton / Monkey Business

Hey, friends!  Happy Monday to you :)  I hope you had a great weekend!  I'm so excited to introduce a new YouTube Scrapbooking series called Stretch Your Sketch.  I've teamed up with my awesome scrappy friend Ashley Horton to bring you four fun episodes of working with a sketch in different ways.  I hope you enjoy it!

Ashley designed the sketch, and it's really fun and versatile.  There are a lot of circle elements that can be interpreted in a lot of different ways.  She also designed a really fun cut file set that you can download.  You can find the link to the sketch and the cut file set in the description area of our YouTube videos.


For our first episode, we used the sketch as it is.  I tried to stick with it as much as possible.  I used mostly the Pink Paislee Fancy Free collection, and I traced lots of different sized circles on that beautiful patterned paper inspired by Britt Bass Turner.  I machine stitched around them as well.  I did some watercolor work on the background in coordinating colors using Shimmerz, gelatos and watercolor markers.  These photos make me laugh...Paige was being silly and acting like she was asleep while my husband was tickling her.  She would suck her thumb and close her eyes...and then pop them open and start laughing again.  What a goofball...haha!


I wanted to keep the idea of the stars in the sketch, so I punched some out of vellum and lightly painted the edges with Shimmerz.  My journaling fit perfectly in this circle here, and I jazzed up these fabric Thickers using gelatos and some white paint.  I added in some MAMBI glitter stickers, a wood veneer arrow and some Tim Holtz word stickers.  That "pretend" sticker had to go on this page somewhere!


Here's another vellum star.  I love how the background turned out, and I love that by mixing different mediums together you can get the perfect color to match anything.  I mixed watercolor, marker and gelatos...so much fun!  I used lots of chipboard and buttons here as well. I framed both my photos and added cord to the centers of the buttons.


This is a paper frame from the Fancy Free collections, and I added the wood veneer one with the glitter behind it for added sparkle and dimension.  I added another vellum star and another button.  That cute flair button is from A Flair For Buttons, and the aqua alphas are Elle's Studio.


I also added in lots of tangled thread in various colors as well as another word sticker.  Before I adhered this photo, I machine stitched around the frame to jazz it up a bit.


Here's one more close-up of the frames & title area.  I love how those Thickers turned out!  This layout turned out pretty heavy and chunky from all the chipboard, so I made sure it was all glued down really well.  Those Fancy Free chipboard buttons are so awesome!


Here's the process video.  You'll find a link to Ashley's video, the sketch and the cut files in the description box below the video.  I hope you love it and use the sketch with us!  Click HERE to see Ashley's video.



Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Fab layout Missy! I love the circles and how you challenged yourself to use those frames!

    ReplyDelete