Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Happy Strollin' / Shimmerz Education Team

Hey, friends!  I have another layout for the Shimmerz Education Team to share with you today.  I created this layout as part of Shimmerz Shortz #51.  I showed how you can use all those tiny scraps left over on your Silhouette cutting mat after you've cut a design to create a fun background.

I had a bunch of squares left over from a recent design I cut using my Silhouette Cameo.  I used the design and had all these leftover little squares left on my cutting mat.  I peeled them off and saved them.  I arranged them on white cardstock and then used a few Shimmerz sprays and just simply sprayed right over the squares.  I used Coloringz No Yoking, Vibez Sweetheart and Coloringz Mama Sings the Blues.  I also added a bit of Vibez Jeni B Bleu.  I love the negative space created by the squares.




I roughly outlined each square with black pen just to make them stand out a bit more.  I was mainly just playing around. You could leave them as is if you wanted.


Here's a layout I made using this background.  I used three small photos and arranged them so the background squares were peeking out here and there.  I tried a bit of color blocking using die cuts and pieces from the June 2016 Hip Kit, a few pieces from Amy Tangerine's Rise & Shine, a flair button from A Flair For Buttons and a few sequins.  This really didn't take too long since the background was done and it was just a matter of embellishing.



I love the subtle spray inks coming out from behind the photos, and the black & white really pops. I used a few stickers from Simple Stories Sunshine & Happiness and an acetate heart from Pink Paislee Fancy Free.  That puffy heart is from Amy Tan.  I did add some black splatters with Coloringz Night Moves, which is your basic black spray.


I added in one of those fun acetate die cut words from Pinkfresh Studio for a pop of orange.  I love how those squares create some fun interest behind everything.


Here's the blue side...I love these pretty shades!  This was really not hard to do...just simply spraying over the squares onto the cardstock.


I added in a pop of green with this "laughter" die cut (an exclusive to Hip Kit), and I added pop dots to it to create some dimension.  That pink strip is a piece of ribbon from my stash, and those awesome blue alphas are Hip Kit exclusives from the June Kit.  


Here's a quick look at how I made this background.  You could try this with any little scraps you have saved up.


Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Super cute background! I've gotta remember to do that after I cut something from my Cricut! And your layout turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete