Sunday, March 5, 2017

Beautiful / Hip Kit Club

Hey, friends!  Happy Sunday!  It's been a few days, but I'm back to share my newest layout for Hip Kit Club.  I used the beautiful 2017 February Hip Kits, and I just can't get enough of them.  I decided to start this page with one of the monthly cut files.  Zinia designed this one, and it's actually meant to be a 3D flower once you cut it and circle it around and glue the center of it.  But I used it as a flat floral spiral design.  I duplicated it several times, resized them, arranged them in a vertical pattern and then welded them together to create one big shape.  I used one of the abstract papers from Maggie Holmes to cut it on, and I just love how it turned out!  The patterned paper is in the Main Kit and Paper Kit.

I used a sheet of the Butter cardstock from the Cardstock Kit as my background.  I went over a lot of it with white gesso to make the yellow even lighter and to give my paper some texture before adding watercolor.  For my background, I combined some of the new Shimmerz Acritonez Paint from the Color Kit with some more Shimmerz sprays from my stash.  I used pinks, blues and aquas.  I even used an orange gelato from my stash to create a few orange areas.


Aren't these the prettiest colors?  I used the fun and colorful Thickers from the Paige Evans Oh My Heart collection for my title.  They're in the Project Life Kit.  I wanted to keep it simple, and I love how I was able to stagger the letters.  I stitched through them with yellow thread for added texture.  I also punched a few tiny hearts using a punch from my stash and added a sticker sentiment from the Maggie Holmes sticker sheet.


Here you can see the fun texture from this cut file.  I machine stitched through all the spirals...very slowly and carefully :)  I love how that dark blue looks against all the yellows and pinks.  I also used a few of the Pretty Little Studio floral die cuts (designed by Claudia VanR) as layering pieces.  Those are in the Embellishment Kit.


I added in a few Crate Paper chipboard hearts here and there and more of the die cuts and stickers.  I also used some of the Crate Paper floral die cuts...they are just amazing, and I wish I had a never ending supply of them!


These flower die cuts from PLS are gorgeous.  I love the watercolor look to them, and they are my favorite colors!  I added in a big leafy die cut here from Crate Paper along with some tangled thread, chipboard hearts and some stickers.  I used some of the CP die cuts as layers behind my photo as well.


I wanted some smaller leaves for this small flower and I couldn't find any in the die cut packs.  So I pulled out this tag from the CP ephemera and fussy cut these leaves.  It was perfect!  Remember, you don't always have to use an item just as it is.  You can always cut it up and get creative with it.  Better to cut it up and use it in a different way than not use it at all, right?


Here's one more close up just because of the gorgeous colors :)


Here's my process video if you'd like to check it out.  I hope you enjoy watching, and I hope you get some fun ideas to try!  Check out the cut files over at hipkitclub.net.



Thanks so much for stopping by!


1 comment: