Thursday, October 27, 2016

Using Older Supplies / Hello Darling

Happy Thursday, friends!  I'm back today to share another layout in my Using Older Supplies series I'm doing on my YouTube channel.  I'm having a blast going through my older products and using them all mixed together.  I used the Studio Calico Lemon Lush paper pad for this as well as some ribbon and washi tape from my stash.  I embellished with some Crate paper chipboard, stickers & rub-ons, some Dear Lizzy Documentary stickers, some hand-painted flowers, a few Heidi Swapp goodies as well as some Tim Holtz phrase stickers.

I hand cut the large heart from some scrap cardstock and cut strips of paper to fill it up.  I cut strips of ribbon and washi as well.  I used some white gesso on my background paper before I added some Shimmerz Paints.  I didn't want to do too much mixed media work on the background since the heart was so busy & colorful.


After I got all the strips and ribbon glued down, I did some machine stitching in white and pink through a lot of it.  I also added some white gesso over some of the heart.  Here you can see the texture from the ribbon, rick rack and stitching.  I also added some tangled thread.


There is some foam under my photo so it has some dimension, and this allowed me to layer in those circle flowers pretty easily.  I punched the leaves with an old Martha Stewart punch.


I made these pretty flowers a few months ago for one of my Shimmerz Shortz videos.  I was showing how to recreate the flowers from the Illustrated Faith She Blooms collection.  I added a flair button from A Flair For Buttons here, too.  I stitched right onto my using pink thread, and I layered some blue tissue paper, green patterned paper and pink cardstock under it.  That "love" brad is from Prima.


I have been hoarding these awesome Thickers for quite a while, and I finally used one...woo hoo!  I paired "darling" with a Dear Lizzy speech bubble sticker.  I'm usually not a bow person, but this blue glittery one was too perfect to pass up!  I also added in some clear MAMBI stickers.  I have a few booklets of MAMBI clear stickers I got from Michael's.  They're perfect for little embellishments like this.


More strips, more stitching, more stickers, more ribbon...I love how this turned out.  I'm so glad I finally started using ribbon again.  I honestly don't know how I accumulated so much over the years!


Here's one last close-up.  I used an MME rub-on here.  It went on nicely over the gesso and watercolor.  This created the perfect spot for my journaling.


Here's my process video if you'd like to check it out.  I had a blast making this...I hope it gives you some fun ideas to try with your stash!



Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Great Process video, somehow when I try to incorporate my stash (which, like you I like to keep)it never comes out lookin' as nice ... I feel very motivated now to try again .. :)

    ReplyDelete