Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Beauty & the Trees + a MCS tutorial

Hi, everyone!  I hope you are all doing well on this beautiful Tuesday.  We are SO blessed to have temps up into the mid-80s this week.  The perks of living in Florida!  Today, I'm sharing another page I created using the December Main Kit from My Creative Scrapbook.  It's full of Simple Stories...lots of pretty Christmas papers and embellishments.

I really love how this page turned out.  I've wanted to try stamped embossing for a long time, and I decided now was the time.  I have had this tree trunk stamp so long, and I also wanted to add some brown into my page.  There is a tutorial further down in this post explaining how I did the tree trunk.  The rest of the page is watercolor, patterned paper layers, stickers, flowers, cord and other bits and pieces.


The corner cluster contains only a few things.  I love the OA tin pins, and I had this arrow cut from a different project, and I just painted it brown.


These flowers are so pretty, and they were perfect for this little cluster.  I love adding cord to my pages!  It creates great dimension and it just looks cool :)


I simply used a brown pen to trace these circles.  Just something different to add in...


I like the white-on-white title here.  It reminds me of snow...something we just don't get here in Florida.


Below is the tutorial that was up on the MCS blog yesterday.

If you're like me, sometimes you like to create your own unique background on cardstock instead of using patterned paper.  Incorporating cardstock into your layouts will also help stretch your kit further.  Today, I'm showing how I created an embossed stamped image to create a background pattern.  I then added some color to it by using watercolors.

I used a different stamp and colors for this tutorial.  Here's how I did it...it's fun and pretty simple!


Here is the page I created using my kit featuring this technique.  I used a tree trunk stamp and then used a few different tones of brown and some green to give it some life.


You can see it up close here.


I've been wanting to try out this fun technique for a while, and I'm glad I did!  It's really neat and it's pretty hard to mess up.  Plus, adding the watercolor is fun, too!  There were no browns in the papers for this layout, so I was able to use my paints as a way to incorporate it where I wanted it.

I hope this inspires you to give wet embossing a try!

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful layout Missy! Love the embossed stamping and the touch of Christmas papers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, definitely my new favorite! That tree is A-MAZ-ING, and I love how you designed your page around it! And the title is perfect for that beautiful photo of your girlie! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete