Thursday, June 22, 2017

Laugh Out Loud / Hip Kit Club

Happy Thursday, friends!  I'm back to share another layout I created for Hip Kit Club featuring the 2017 May Hip Kits.  This layout actually started out as something completely different.  I was inspired by a beautiful circle layout by Paige Evans, so I pulled out several of my circle punches.  I punched circles from several of the patterned papers and a Project Life card.  I also used the Prima Watercolor Confections from the Color Kit on some white cardstock to create a messy background and then I punched circles out of that.  That background was the beginning of my layout, but I wound up not liking it.  When that happens, I punch shapes out of it and turn it into something I do like :)

I used some of the Begonia cardstock from the Cardstock Kit as my base. I knew I wanted to create a diagonal design, so I covered a lot of that area with white gesso.  I came back over that with the watercolors and created a messy background that would show through all the circles.  I used three photos in a strip and used some of the Butter cardstock behind it as well as some tangled thread, a Shimelle sticker and an exclusive Hip Kit puffy scallop border sticker at the bottom.


I glued down all the circles so all the colors were evenly distributed around the page.  I machine stitched through the bigger circles with black thread.  I love that added detail and texture.  I added a few stickers from the Shimelle sticker book as well.


I added some adhesive foam under my photos to give them some lift and added a Crate Paper chipboard heart on top.  That "Love" sticker is from Shimelle as well.


I was kind of nervous about using such a bold color for a background and then adding all the mixed media on top of it....but I like how it turned out.  My photos are wild and crazy, so I needed a background to match :)  I did add some black splatters as well to bring out the black in the photos.


Here's a shot of the top of the layout...more colorful circles, stickers and thread.


I decided to use on of the exclusive die cuts for my title...it described my photos perfectly!  I added some foam under it and some thread, and I added a bit of journaling underneath.


I hope this inspires you in some way...especially when you've lost your creative mojo and nothing you're making suits you.  Just keep making it work.  My first background wasn't making me happy, so instead of trashing it, I punched circles from it.  Sometimes a disaster can bring about something that pleases you!

Here's my process video if you'd like to watch the struggle...haha!



Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed watching your video and the process of how that gorgeous page came to be! It gave me inspiration! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete