Thursday, June 8, 2017

14 Days of Summer Scrappin' / Summer Days Enjoy

Hello again, friends!  Today I'm sharing a layout I created for Day 1 of the 14 Days of Summer Scrappin' Video Series over on YouTube started by my good friend Audrey Yeager.  She's doing a full two weeks of a new Summer video each day on her channel, and one of her scrappy friends is joining her each day.  I'm Day 1, and I had lots of fun creating this Summer page!  Audrey organized a Christmas Series like this back in December, so I was so excited to take part in the Summer version.  So visit her channel HERE and see who else is joining her each day.

I decided to create a layout "from scratch" as I like to call it...meaning I start with just white cardstock and build my page from that.  My photo really inspired me, so I tried to recreate the stripes in her swimsuit using some watercolors.  I did cover my background page with clear gesso first so I could blend and smudge the color a lot easier.  I used some plastic packaging and a brush to paint the stripes and then layered my photo on top of it.  I used some cut files to create the sun and clouds.  The sun and big cloud are from Hip Kit Club, the thick clouds are from The Cut Shoppe and the thinner clouds are from the Silhouette Store.


I painted the sun with a few different shades of yellow watercolors and then machine stitched around it.  I decided to use some alphas from my stash to create my title...do you remember those yellow glitter chipboard Thickers?  I've been hoarding them :)  I combined that with some older Simple Stories stickers to complete the title.  I also used some sequins from SpiegelMom Scraps and a few flair buttons from A Flair For Buttons.  That striped flair matched perfectly!


I really love how this turned out.  I added in few chipboard pieces from an older Echo Park collection and a few Bo Bunny buttons.  I sorted through some older summer collections I've had on my shelves for so long.  It felt good to use them!


I really like how the curved title turned out.  It seemed like the right place for it.  I also added an epoxy sticker from the Amy Tan Rise & Shine collection here along with another button and more sequins.  I love how the sun's rays curl up...the beauty of painting cardstock :)


I also dug into my stash of washi tape and used a few strips around the photo.  That striped piece I tucked in here is a random piece from Echo Park.  It was fun to use up some old stash like this.  Here's the other flair button I used...I stuck it right on top of the picture.


I like the white on white tone here with the clouds.  I drew with a blue gelato around the edges of most of them and smudged the color with my finger.  I wanted a light blue haze coming out from around the clouds.  I wanted a "sky" effect without painting the entire page blue.


I do have the video here for you...I hope you enjoy!


Thanks for stopping in, and be sure to check out Audrey's channel each day.  I promise you'll be blown away by her creativity and awesome style!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment