Monday, January 29, 2018

Using Older Supplies / That Summer Feeling

Hello again, friends!  I'm so excited to share a fun layout today using some of my older supplies.  I started this stash busting series back in 2016 and then got so busy I didn't have time for it.  It's been a full year since I created a layout just for fun, and it felt so good to just sit down and make whatever I felt like :)   Since I'm on fewer design teams now, I'll have more time for stash busting layouts and videos....yay!

I began this layout with the Dear Lizzy Lovely Day and Amy Tan On a Whim collections.  I pulled out the chipboard stickers from both lines and noticed how huge they all were.  I studied them and realized that I don't really used giant chipboard words or titles.  I thought to myself, "why did I even buy these?"  So I challenged myself to use them in some way, shape or form.  See all that background work?  That is chipboard.  I pulled the biggest pieces that I knew I'd never use and cut them up into random shapes.  I made a little puzzle collage out of them and glued them down.  I painted over the whole thing with white acrylic paint and then white gesso.  I used watercolor paper as my background, so it's pretty thick and able to handle water.

I used my Jane Davenport watercolors along with some Shimmerz and painted over the chipboard.  I added paint and sprayed it with lots of water and just let it blend together.  I love how it turned out!  The texture is awesome, and the colors are just beautiful.


Of course I had to add in some Heidi Swapp Gold Color Shine :)  But look how cool this is...you would never know that those were brightly colored chipboard titles.  If you're not going to use it because it's too big or the wrong shape or color, then try something like this!  At least it's getting used, right?


I did some fussy cutting on one of the Amy Tan papers and tucked the flowers around the photo.  I used a few papers from the Amy Tan 6x6 Paper Pad to layer behind the photo.  I used some sequins from my stash and from SpiegelMom Scraps in matching colors.  The little tab above the photo is from an old Echo Park summer collection, and the FUN sticker is from Crate Paper.


I love how you can see the texture of the gesso beneath the watercolor...so cool!


I created a little cluster down at the bottom with more fussy cut flowers, some thread and sequins and a Dear Lizzy phrase sticker.  Again...all from old collections just sitting on my shelves.


I mixed and matched my title.  I used some Amy Tan alphas from a while back and stamped the rest of if with the Crate Paper Oasis Stamps.  I keep those out on my desk because they're perfect for anything.  I wrote my journaling down below.


I love to layer and create dimension.  I added foam adhesive under the photo and yellow flower, and then the striped flower is on top of the photo.  Instant depth!


I hope this inspires you in some way...I honestly loved every minute of making it!  It felt awesome to get rid of some older stuff.  We all have plenty of scrappy goodies hoarded, so my mission is to work through a lot of mine this year.  I have a video down below of this page....woo hoo!



Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is SO COOL! I love your idea on using the chipboard. I have a lot of OLD (like over a decade old) giant chipboard alphas that I still haven't used but don't want to get rid of.... and doing something like this would definitely be doable and would give them a more up to date feel. It'd be a perfect background for a school layout. So thanks for the inspiration!! : )

    ReplyDelete