Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Using Transparent Frames as Layers / My Scraps & More

Hey there, friends!  Happy Tuesday.  School started back up yesterday, and I think it was harder to get out of bed this morning!  Why is it so hard getting back into the groove after a vacation?  I'm longing for the weekend already....haha :)

Today I'm sharing a layout I created for last week's Tuesday Trigger Challenge at My Scraps & More.  It was the last one for December, and the monthly theme was Winter/Christmas/Giving.  The challenge was inspired by gifts I love to give at Christmas...framed photos.  The rules were to use frames on a layout and to create some sort of border around the edges.  I created a Christmas page featuring some Crate Paper Transparent Overlay Frames.  I didn't use them in the traditional way, though.  I created a background design and used them as layers.  This is last year's Christmas collection from Crate Paper (Bundled Up).  Although these particular frames are all sold out, you can still find some cute ones in the store from the Oh Darling collection HERE.

This was a pretty simple layout to create.  Once I had my frames where I wanted them, I covered my cardstock with some clear gesso and then used some green and pinkish/reddish sprays to create a watercolor effect background.  I adhered the frames and then my photos.  I added some thread, stitched around the border, added a mixed alpha title and added some chipboard trees, a pre-stitched border at the top with a sticker and brad, and a flair button near the photos.


These frames practically did all the work here... I didn't feel like I needed much patterned paper at all. I added a few embellishments here and there, and that was all it needed.  If you haven't tried adding pop dots under your photos, you definitely should.  You're able to add things under them, and it gives the illusion of dimension.
 

Here you can see the background texture.  I love adding tangled thread...an easy and fun way to add sparkle or color!


These Thickers are the greatest!  I love the look of them...and they're silver!  Get some HERE. I used these small alphas from Elle's Studio.  The "school" was a cream color, but I inked them aqua.  I love altering things to make a perfect match :)


I hope this inspires you to try transparent frames/overlays as a layering and design element.  It's a fun way to change it up, and you don't even need much paper.  

Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. LOVING THIS IDEA MISSY!! Sometimes I stash those little guys and they just get left! I'm glad you shared a fun idea on how to use them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use up the stash Missy!!!! I've got a few of those sitting around and love this idea of layering with them! That precious peanut is sure growing up fast!!!! It's such a joy to see Santa through child eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love using those frames as layers too! I LOOOOVE how you paired them with that amazing watercolor background!

    ReplyDelete