Sunday, January 4, 2015

Creative Scrappers #285

Happy Sunday, friends!  It's time for another awesome sketch from Creative Scrappers!  It's definitely a fun one to spark some scrappy mojo for you :)  It's by the super talented Juliana Michaels.  Check it out!


Here's what I created.  I pulled out the September Skies collection from Heidi Swapp and got a little messy.  I love the challenge of starting with a busy background.  These rainbow stripes were my favorite.  I took a piece of vellum and stitched it right in the center.  That immediately fades out a lot of the busy pattern.  After organizing my photo and other paper pieces, I added some gesso right over the paper and vellum.  Now vellum isn't the greatest at accepting water, and I knew it would buckle a bit...but I'm okay with that.  I added a bit of watercolor on and around the vellum.  The gesso really did help a lot.


I love this saying!  It was perfect for this layout about all of my gym friends being back together again after one of my friends moved back home.  I added some navy blue stitching, a few flair buttons (from A Flair for Buttons), some washi tape, a few stickers, and some punched circles.


What better time to use a bicycle flair button than on a layout showing a picture of us after Spin class?  It was meant to be :)  I used acrylic paint to color these wooden arrows.  I just used my finger.  The "Best" part of my title is one of the Color Magic die cuts.  You just rub paint, mist or other kind of color over it, wipe it off and the white shows through.  I used a gelato and it worked perfectly.


Here you can see more stitching and where I added paint.  I used a small star stencil and some orange distress ink in a few places as well.


Now, to win $25 off a $35 or more purchase at SpeigelMom Scraps, all you have to do is create a layout using Sketch 285 and/or 286 and enter them using the inLinkz tool on the Creative Scrappers blog.  The deadline to submit is midnight January 31st EST.

Visit SpeigelMoms - Blog - Facebook - Shop

Also, DT member Jody is having a DT Call for her Shop HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a wonderful day, friends!

10 comments:

  1. Great page, Missy! I love the fact that you share all the close photos, so we can see the reality behind your artistry. Helps me think I can maybe do it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the vellum stitched over the diagonal striped paper, Missy! You did such an awesome job with the sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty, Missy! I've been playing with my gesso, but I can't seem to get a look I like. How do you apply it to your pages? I can't throw away another pretty paper ;). Love the way you're vellum softens the rainbow stripe, and you're really making that new sewing machine shine! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jinny! On this layout, I just smudged it on with my finger. The more I smudge, the more of a "misty" edge I get. I like it to look blended as much as possible without a definite line. If I'm covering an entire page, I'll squirt some onto the paper and use an old gift card to spread it around. But my fingers work best in small areas like on this page. It's just trial and error to see what works :)

      Delete
    2. I experimented on this page and tried to make it look like paint splatters. For that, I just dab my finger without blending too much to give it a splotchy look (on the right side of the page). The more soft blended look is more on the left side of the page. Does any of that even make sense? Haha!

      Delete
  4. So fun! I love a busy background but the velum makes it so it's not too overpowering. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun and colorful page Missy! Love your attention to detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bright colors and cheeriness of this gorgeous layout!!

    ReplyDelete