Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Summer Days / Hip Kit Club

Hey, friends!  Here's my newest layout for Hip Kit Club.  This is my sixth page using the 2020 April Hip Kits.  I wanted to create a page using the summer color scheme from the Carta Bella Summer Market sticker sheet.  It includes some colors I usually tend to shy away from...mainly reds and greens.  However, I loved how summery they looked mixed with the yellow, soft pink and light blue.  So I just went for it!

I also used one of the exclusive free cut files for this month.  I began by cutting the butterflies on various patterned papers and one on white cardstock.  I used a Summer Market paper as my background...I love the yellow and white gingham print.  I covered a lot of it with white acrylic paint and then white gesso.  This blurs out a lot of the print and gives me some white space to work with.  I wanted the pattern to show mostly around the edges.

I used the Art Philosophy Watercolors from the Color Kit along with a few blue Lindy's sprays from previous kits.


I knew I wanted to use this Summer banner sticker to pull all the colors together.  I popped it up with some adhesive foam and added DAYS using the pink foam Thickers.  I fussy cut a few flowers to create a small floral cluster here.  I like the pop of red it brings to this part of the page.


I scattered the butterflies at the top of the layout so it looked like they were flying out from behind the photos.  I glued the centers down and then machine stitched through them creating some trails.


I was so excited when I found these photos of my daughter wearing a swimsuit with these same colors!  They were a perfect match.  I used a few stickers here to create another cluster along with some blue tangled thread.


I used matching thread to stitch through each butterfly.  I love how the wings just float up off the page!


I used the plastic packaging technique to apply the color as well as just spraying it directly onto the paper.  I used a brush and extra water to help it blend and spread.  I added splatters as well.


Here are more close-ups :)










I definitely went out of my comfort zone using some of these colors, but it was a fun challenge.  Even some of your least favorite colors can look great when paired with other colors.  It also helped that my photos had all those colors, too.  I hope this gives you some inspiration today!

Be sure to check out my process video here if you're interested:



Thanks so much for stopping by, and I'll see you again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment