Thursday, May 12, 2016

Sweet Life / Hip Kit Club NSD Layout

Hey there again!  Today I am sharing the layout I created for Hip Kit Club's National Scrapbooking Day Crop.  That took place last weekend, and the entire team created fun challenges for all the members.  My challenge was to use stencils in at least two different ways on a layout.

I used the 2016 April Hip Kits for this and the exclusive butterfly stencil from the Color Kit.  I used it in four different ways.  I used it the most common way, which was to lay it down and spray mist over it.  I also dipped it into spray ink and flipped it over and used it as a stamp.  I used glass bead gel over it and I used a black pen to trace the butterflies.  There really are a lot of things you can do with stencils...you just have to think outside the box!


Here's a close up look at the stencil work.  You can see the glass bead gel here...it's like a clear gel but it has these tiny glass bead in it.  It's really pretty and gives amazing texture.  Once it dried, I used a small paintbrush to add a bit of Shimmerz to them.  The inks I used for this are all from Shimmerz.  Some of the butterflies were a bit messy and abstract from the stamping, but I love how that turned out.


I combined lots of kit goodies here.  A lot of Pinkfresh Studio -- the puffy green striped frame, the acetate SWEET and the washi tape strips.  I fussy cut a few of the Crate Paper Maggie Holmes butterflies and added a Simple Stories "life" wood veneer.  I've said this a million times, but I LOVE these three colors together!


When I thought of using the stencil as a stamp, I envisioned the butterflies being white with all the ink color around them.  It didn't turn out that clean...it was more of a blob of color.  The stamping idea works better if you lay the stencil down and spray it from above and then flip it over.  I love the messy abstract look, though, so I actually like how it turned out.  I used some of the exclusive Hip Kit papers and one of the Amy Tan papers behind my photos.


Another look at the mixed media work here...more glass bead gel and lots of Shimmerz!  I used Coloringz No Yoking (from the Color Kit), and the rest is from my stash.  Coloringz Pretty in Pink, Vibez Jeni B Bleu and Sweetheart.  Some of my all-time faves, for sure!


I decided to add this exclusive yellow flair button right onto the photos.  I layered with one of Pinkfresh Studio puffy frames and some tangled thread.


Thanks to everyone who played along with my challenge and all the other ones...there were A LOT of beautiful projects posted!  I wish we could do NSD more than once a year!

Here's my process video for you...


I hope you all have a fabulous day!


1 comment: