Saturday, March 28, 2020

Paradise / Shimmerz (Cardstock Only Layout)

Hello again, friends!  I'm here with a new layout for the Spring Challenge over at Shimmerz Paints, which is to create a layout using NO patterned paper.  I love this challenge...it's my favorite kind of page to make!



To play along with us:
1. Create a layout, card, watercolor canvas or journal process background using Shimmerz Paints products. Any color, any technique, any texture. Just try not to use pattern paper at all. Watercolor, textured and smooth cardstock of any color is welcomed. Ephemera, embellishments and cut files are welcomed as well!

2. Upload your project to our Shimmerz Paints Facebook group Shimmerz Sharez or any other form of social media using the hashtag #shimmerzspringchallenge 


3. The challenge begins March 1st and goes through March 31st. One winner will be chosen on April 1st, 2020 to receive a $50.00 Shimmerz Shop store credit. Our winner will be tagged and contacted via social media.
*********************************************************************************

I accepted the challenge and created this tropical page using only white cardstock and lots of gorgeous Shimmerz.I began with a beautiful cut file from AnettsDesigns. I just love the tropical flowers and leaves, so I cut it on white cardstock twice.  I coated it with clear gesso to prep it for painting.  My background is thick white cardstock, which also has clear gesso on it. 


Colors Used:
Shimmerz:

Inklingz:

Spritz:

Coloringz:

Vibez:

Creameez:

I used a variety of these colors to paint the cut files.  I started with the large pink flowers.  I blended a few of the pink colors together with a brush and a bit of water.  I moved on to the yellow/orange & purple flowers, then the leaves.  I love mixing and matching colors to get lots of depth and variation.  I wanted the leaves and flowers to have lights and darks.  I lightly added some pink color to the petals of the large flowers and popped them up with adhesive foam.  I love how that looks!


The best part about using flowers and leaf cut files is it is really easy to get dimension.  The petals and leaves curl up naturally, so nothing is flat.  I dug through my stash and found some very old dew drops, which are these little clear beads.  I don't even remember where I got them, but I used them in the centers of each of the flowers.  I also tucked in some matching tangled thread in a few places for extra texture.



I blended a few of the pinks and the yellow together to get this orange color...I love blending to get new colors!  To add more flowers, I pulled out an old flower punch.  I punched six flowers on white cardstock and painted them using lots of the same colors already listed.  I didn't add gesso to those.


See what I mean about the edges curling up?  If you like dimension, these shapes are wonderful.  Adding some adhesive foam behind larger shapes gives even more depth.  I did add some behind the punched flowers.


I'm not a huge green fan, but when it comes to leaves, I LOVE IT.  And I really can't choose a favorite green Shimmerz.  So I blend them all together...haha.  I really can't talk enough about the beautiful shimmer these paints give.


My photo was perfect for this design.  Believe it or not, the layout was pretty much finished before I chose my photo.  This is a shot of my oldest daughter out by the pool.  We have lots of plants and palm trees out there, so this one was a great match.  There is a lot of empty space in the photo, so I was able to overlap flowers and leaves on top of it.  I went short and simple with the title and used some old Thickers from my stash.  I toned down the gold by smudging some white gesso over them.


I did add some vellum behind these leaves to try and make them stand out a bit more, but in the end the vellum really didn't make a big difference.  I did add some white gesso behind the cut file on top of the blue because I felt like the cut file was kind of getting lost.  It was blending in too much against all the blue, so I whitened it up a bit to create some separation.




One more...because I took a ton of close-ups :)


Whew!  That's a lot of photos.  I hope this inspires you to create a layout using only white cardstock.  Or colored cardstock.  Just no patterned paper!  I truly love making layouts "from scratch" like this.  It really allows you to make your own things, make your own color schemes...it's so fun!

Be sure to check out my process video of this HERE.  Its has alllll the details!

Thanks for stopping by today.  Stay safe and healthy, friends!


2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing, love all the little details

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete