Sunday, March 1, 2020

Butterfly Rainbow Layout / Shimmerz Paints

Happy Weekend, friends!  Today I have a a fun rainbow layout to share for Shimmerz Paints featuring lots of lovely Shimmerz Paints.  I was inspired by these gorgeous butterflies from the Cocoa Vanilla Happiness collection.  They are all from one single piece of patterned paper, and I started by cutting them all out.  I sorted through all my Shimmerz stash and found lots of colors to match all the butterflies.

Colors Used:
 I used smooth white cardstock as my base, and I coated it with clear gesso first.  I actually created the colors moving left to right horizontally.  Afterwards, I decided to turn the page and make it a vertical design.  I started with the pink colors and worked my way across the page.  I used a brush to apply the Shimmerz and I sprayed the other colors.  I used my water bottle to spritz water onto some of the colors to help them spread and blend into the next color.


After the colors dried, I arranged the butterflies in the matching sections.  I love the effects of tone-on-tone!  I lightly glued down the center of each butterfly and then machine stitched through each one using matching thread.  My favorite thing about butterflies is how the wings are easily bendable.  Great texture and dimension!


I went short, sweet & simple with the title.  I combined a Cocoa Vanilla die cut with some very old October Afternoon letter tile stickers.  I popped them up with some adhesive foam and then added a few more stickers.


Gahhhhhh!  I'm obsessed with these blues!  Seas the Day Vibez up next to the Ahoy Matey Coloringz & Chance of Rain Spritz is my new fave.  So so so gorgeous!


I felt like the layout really didn't need much embellishing.  The butterflies did enough on their own, so I added just a few stickers and some green & blue thread over on the left side of the photo,.


My favorite thing about creating a rainbow color scheme like this is how easy it is to let one color bleed right into the next.  I didn't even use an orange color.  I mixed Vibez Blushing Bride with Vibez Mustard Seed.  Instant gorgeous orange!  This is why I'm a big fan of mixing and matching colors :)


I took a ton of close-up shots, so here they are.  I did add some splatters at the end using the same colors.


Here you can see how beautiful the shimmer is from the Shimmerz original mix.  It's thicker than the sprays, and the finish is extra shimmery.






I am really loving how this turned out!  I hope you like it, and I hope it inspires you to create something with a rainbow color scheme.  It's so fun, and it's always a great result :)

I have a process video of this up HERE on the Shimmerz channel.

Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful weekend!


1 comment: