Friday, May 25, 2018

Today / Using Older Supplies

It's Friday...yessss!  Today I'm sharing a layout I made just for fun using up some older products.  This is the My Mind's Eye Find Your Wings & Fly collection from 2013!  I have been hoarding it...yes, I'm a scrappy hoarder.  I fell in love with the colors back in the day, and so I thought I'd pull it out and make a page with it.

I wanted to work with all the black elements in the collection, so I began with some black cardstock.  I cut the Funky Striped Background cut file from Just Nick Studio.  I love the crooked, wonky stripes.  I backed them with lots of patterned paper strips.  I did a little bit of mixed media on the background using some Vicki Boutin Acrylic Paints & some Shimmerz.


Once I had the cut file backed, I did lots of crooked machine stitching with black thread.  I also added in some stamping.  I pulled some random border stamps from my stash...I think from Michael's.  I also used a few white clear stickers from a MAMBI sticker book and some Tim Holtz phrase stickers.


Acrylic paint looks so cool on black cardstock!  It really pops off the page.  I scraped a little pink, blue & green behind the photo using a palette knife and then added in some Shimmerz It's Mint to Be (one of the new colors).  I also watered down the paints and splattered some dots with a brush.  I layered some patterned papers behind the photo as well as some stickers and old buttons.


I used a giant black foam Thicker from Amy Tangerine (I think) as my title.  Another thing I've been hoarding.  To make it pop a little more, I traced around it with a white gel pen.


I used some of the MME stickers as embellishments on top of my photo.  I had some extra "white" space on the right side of the photo, so I'm not covering up anything important.  I like to do this technique if the photo allows it.  I also found a random scalloped die cut in my stash bin, so I colored it pink and used it here.


Backing a cut file is a great way to use lots of colors & patterns on your page without overdoing it.  I used so many papers here, but it's not enough to make it too busy or overwhelming.


I created a small cluster down on the bottom right using more of the MME stickers and a few pieces I fussy cut from a patterned paper.  I added adhesive foam behind the camera here along with some green and blue tangled thread.  I also found this random lime green wood button...it matched so I used it!


Here I combined red and pink thread to create a "new" color.  The pink tones down the red, and it matched perfectly here.


Here's one more close-up of the fun stitching detail.


I hope this inspires you to pull out some older goodies and create something with it!  I just can't bare to give a lot of this older product away...I still love it!  I just ran out of time to create with it.

Here's a process video if you'd like to watch this page come together.



Thank you for stopping in, and have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool! I love it! I would love for you to check out my blog: https://beccajb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete