Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Perfect Day / Paige Evans DT

Hey, friends!  I'm here today with a bright summer layout for the Paige Evans Design Team featuring Paige’s Go the Scenic Route collection. I began this layout by choosing some gorgeous tropical flowers from the Chipboard Stickers. They’re pretty big, so I wanted to start with those and build the page around them. I layered my two beach photos on top of the flowers and then immediately knew I needed a sun. I used Paige’s Sunburst Rays Stencil with some modeling paste. Once I had the base of the layout ready, I started embellishing with more flowers. I added lots of color to the background. I used thick, smooth white cardstock, which I coated with clear gesso first. I used yellow and pink Shimmerz to add watercolor and then used blue Nuvo Crystal Drops to add some blue.


Since my two large flowers were pink and yellow, I reversed the colors behind them on the page. I added yellow over the sun and the texture really popped from the paste. Under the photos I added another Chipboard Sticker - a fun map! I fussy cut flowers from Paper 2 and tropical birds from Paper 15. I also used a few pieces from the Ephemera Die Cuts and Floral Die Cuts. I used a Puffy Word Sticker on top of the bottom photo and I stitched through it. I’ve never stitched on a photo before, but this one just seemed to call for it.

Unless I'm doing a tone-on-tone layout, I like to try and make all the colors contrast against each other.  For example, since I used a bright yellow flower here, I wanted a completely different color behind it.  I went with pink to match the large flower on the other side.  This way, the yellow stands out, the pink stands out, and the blue photos stand out.
This is an example of a tone-on-tone area.  A big blue flower over a blue area on the background with blue thread.  All the blue together, but different shades and tones.  But the title is purple, so it stands out, and the Document This piece is super bright and red, so it breaks up the blue flower from the blue in the photo. 
I love this Sunburst Rays Stencil! It’s so easy to get this fun texture and it really shows up well once the color hits it. I placed the large pink flower here to contrast against the yellow and the blue in the photos stands out as well. I layered in matching tangled thread, more fussy cut flowers, and another bird.
I will never grow tired of these bright tropical colors...they just scream summer and happiness!

I tucked in a die cut here behind the photo.


I used a metallic gold pen for my journaling.  I love how this bird is looking in toward the page.  He's obsessed with the beach, too :D
I went small with the title and used a Puffy Phrase Sticker. And this really was the perfect day. A boat tour around the Exumas in the Bahamas was breathtaking. The water really is that blue! These flowers and leaves create such awesome dimension because the petals and edges bend up so well. This blue color here is from the Crystal Nuvo Drops. I squirted some on the page and used a palette knife to smear. It’s so soft and shear, so I added a few layers. It looks wet and glassy when it’s dry, so it’s perfect for the water effect.
Here are a few more shots...I always take a ton!


I hope this puts you in a warm summer mood today!  I just couldn't stand it any longer...I needed to make a beach page...haha :D  

Be sure to check out my process video for all the details on this page:


Thanks for stopping by, and I'll see you again soon :)  Have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment