Thursday, June 25, 2020

Everyday Madness / Hip Kit Club

Hello again, friends!  I'm back again today with another new layout for Hip Kit Club.  I am still digging into the 2020 May Hip Kits, and the goodness just keeps on giving :)  I went bright and bold with the colors, which I love.  I started by cutting one of the Stamp Market papers into strips and using those colors as my base for a color scheme.  I wound up adding in a strip of aqua as well.  I used white textured cardstock as my base, and once I had the strips glued down, I machine stitched through them using aqua thread.

Let the record state that I did not use any gesso on this page!  I know...who am I?  :D  I wanted to try something different.  The very first thing I did was mix a few of the blue & green sprays from Lindy's Gang that we received in past Color Kits.  I mixed them together on some plastic packaging and used a brayer to roll the paint onto the white cardstock.  It immediately dried and soaked through the paper, which I expected.  Without gesso, you can't really add water and smudge or blend the color.  I used that as a starting point and then added the strips.


I did wind up (later) using my water brush and some of the Stamp Market ink pads from the Color Kit to add some pinks and oranges here.  Again, I didn't use any gesso, so I had to be careful and mindful of how much water I added.  I also added some white paint splatters and then finally some black ink splatters at the end. 

I fussy cut some flowers from a patterned paper to use as layers here, and I pulled out an old Martha Stewart punch from my stash to punch lots of matching flowers from various papers.


I used one of the large Vicki Boutin word die cuts here and paired it with the large iridescent shiny Thickers for my title.  I changed up the shiny factor on the Thickers by smudging some white gesso o them and then lightly rubbing the yellow and orange ink pads over them.  I love the effect of that!


I used the Pink Paislee rhinestone and pearl dots as centers for the flowers.  I also added a few stickers here and there from the Pink Paislee and Dear Lizzy sticker sheets.


I used a few bits as layers under the photos.  Some Pocket Life cards, some leftover bits of paper...and I also fussy cut a few of the shapes from a Stamp Market paper.  I have no idea what the shape is, but it's similar to these flowers.  They are yellow, and I tucked them under the photos.


Here you can see more of the background.  I honestly prefer using gesso, but I wanted to demonstrate that you CAN still do some mixed media on regular cardstock if you're careful with the amount and how you apply it.


These pictures make me smile...Paige is such a violet hugger...haha!  You might get a kiss or you might get choked! :D


I added a few phrase stickers here on the paper strips that matched the colors.  Oh!  I also used some of the bright pink tissue paper that the kits were wrapped in...it's gorgeous!!


A few more close-ups here :)


I love how those metallic Thickers shine in the light!




I hope you guys are inspired by this...it was fun (and interesting) to make!  Don't let gesso make you afraid to try mixed media.  As you can see by this, you CAN do it without it.  Be sure to check out my process video to see exactly how this went down...



Thanks for stopping by, and I'll see you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment