Wednesday, September 25, 2019

This Change / Hip Kit Club

Hello again, friends!  I'm back again today to share my newest layout for Hip Kit Club.  This is my second layout using the 2019 September Hip Kits, and they are just soooo inspiring!  I felt drawn to this gorgeous Dear Lizzy She's Magical paper with all the wonky squares.  It's perfection...seriously.  I tore a big strip of it to use on the background.

I used thick white cardstock as my base, and I coated most of it with clear gesso to begin.  I wasn't sure how much mixed media I was going to add, so I wanted all of it ready to go.  I glued down the square paper and then pulled out several Lindy's Stamp Gang Magical Powders.  I used two from this month's Color Kit and a few from previous kits.  When you add water to the powders, they activate and turn into watercolor.  I went with a tone-on-tone look and added matching colors under each row of squares.  I wanted it to look like the paper colors were running down the page.


We've received so many Lindy's Powders over the last several months, so I have built up quite the collection of pinks and yellows.  After the background dried, I decided to machine stitch along all the squares using white thread.  I love the detail and texture this creates.  I also added even more texture with matching colors of thread.  I used lots of little embellishments from the kits adding them to the appropriate color areas.


These two pieces here are actually squares.  I used circle punches to make them round.  This big "magic and wonder" piece is from the Paige Evans Truly Grateful collection, and the smaller circle is a Pinkfresh Studio Office Hours sticker.  I fussy cut some Dear Lizzy flowers from patterned paper to add in as well.  All these little stickers are also from Dear Lizzy.  I mixed and matched the title using some of the large iridescent Thickers and some Paige Evans puffy phrase stickers.


I love all of these flowers and leaf die cuts from Pretty Little Studio.  They matched my colors perfectly.  I toned down the colors slightly by smudging some white gesso over them.  There are also a few Pocket Life cards that match this color scheme....I layered one under my photos.


It's so fun to take on the challenge of adding pieces tone-on-tone...it always creates such a fun effect.


The side of these Thickers is pink...so pretty!  I did add some adhesive foam under the big circle to raise it up off the page a bit.


I fussy cut this cute sun from one of the Truly Grateful 2x2 Paper Pads.


Stitching.....yessssss!  This is why I love it so much...it always looks so awesome!


Here are more close-ups of all the texture and details :)




And that's it!  I hope this gives you some ideas for your next project.  Keeping the design tone-on-tone is really fun, and it helps you to use specific items.  These kits are perfect for giving this a try :)

Be sure to check out my process video here if you'd like to see how this page came together.



Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment