Sunday, October 28, 2018

Using Older Supplies / Sisters & Friends

Happy Sunday, lovely friends :)  I finally had some time to create a layout just for fun.  I try and use up some of my older supplies whenever I can, and for this page I used some scraps from my very first kit from Hip Kit Club.  It was the February 2015 Kits, and of course I kept what I had left.  It had lots of We R Memory Keepers, My Mind's Eye, Heidi Swapp and Webster's Pages.

I was inspired to try this chevron technique when I saw one of Paige Evans' layouts.  I wanted to try it, and I love how this turned out.  I used a 1-inch square punch and created lots of little squares from bits of the patterned papers I had left.  I cut them in half to make little triangles and then positioned them to create these chevron shapes.  I love the quilted look it creates!

I used some soft pink textured cardstock as my background, and I coated a lot of it with white gesso first.  I used some Shimmerz sprays on the background to create lots of splotchy color.


I didn't want to cover up any more of the chevrons than I needed to, so I kept all of the embellishments close to the photo.  I used some My Mind's Eye and Crate Paper pieces from the kit as well as some pieces from some Me & My Big Ideas sticker sheets from my desk scrap bin.  I also recently bought a cute watercolor sticker book from Walmart, and I used a few of those stickers here.


I pulled out some of my American Crafts foam word Thickers that I've been hoarding.  I wanted to use this "friends" piece even though this photo is of me and my sister.  So I found these Pinkfresh Studio light blue alpha stickers from my desk stash bin and created "sisters."  I also found a black clear sticker from Simple Stories in my stash bin to use here.


I forgot to mention that I did some machine stitching over the chevrons before adding anything on top of it.  I added some foam under some of the pieces to create some depth and added some black tangled thread under the circles.


I used a few patterned papers under the photo as well as some stickers, die cuts and enamel dots.


Here are a few more close-ups of all the details.






I hope you enjoyed this...it was fun to create!  It's always fun to dig into my older supplies and make them look new again.  I have a process video here if you'd like to see it....



Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a wonderful week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment