Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Die Cut Tutorial & Layout / Citrus Twist Kits

Hey, friends!  Happy Wednesday :)  Today I'm sharing a fun tutorial and layout for Citrus Twist Kits using the April Main "Santorini" Kit.  If you're like me, sometimes you have a lot of left over die cut pieces or ephemera that you didn't wind up using on your layouts.  Or there might be some pieces in the package that you don't know how to use or just may not fit your style.  Fear not!  Here is a great way to use them all up no matter what they look like.

I took all the Basic Grey die cuts and vellum pieces that I knew would be hard for me to work with.  I glued them all down on a sheet of white cardstock.  I love getting messy, so I went over the whole thing with some white gesso and let it dry.  Then I added some gelatos and ink sprays to create a watercolor effect over all the die cuts.  Once that was dry, I used a few different sized circle punches to create all these fun circles.  (My process video down below will show how I did this step-by-step.)


Once I adhered all those circles on another sheet of cardstock, I machine stitched through each one and then began placing my photo where I wanted it.  I embellished around it using bits and pieces from the kit.  I used the cute yellow Pinkfresh Studio alpha stickers and combined them with a Cameo die cut for my title.  That blue paper is a Citrus Twist exclusive.


Here you can see one of the circles closer.  I love that some of the die cuts curled up when they got wet and gave it some dimension.  I fussy cut those cute arrows from the Amy Tangerine paper.


You would never really know that these die cuts were about sewing and creating...now they are just bursts of fun color and they give a great abstract look.  I added some of the Amy Tan rubber leaves here under this Basic Grey flower and some tangled thread from my stash.


One more close-up of the circles...I hope you give this idea a try.  It's really fun and easy, and it's hard to mess up!


Here's my process video showing you the entire process.  I hope you enjoy and are inspired!


Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. I love this idea!! It turned out into a great layout!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very clever and I can't tell you how many Cutaparts and other embellishments I have waiting for this technique. Fabulous. I can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this layout! You are so clever using up those die cuts!

    ReplyDelete