Friday, September 10, 2021

You Make Me Smile / Paige Evans DT

Happy Friday, friends!  I have a new layout to share for the Paige Evans Design Team featuring Paige's Bungalow Lane collection.  I love the denim blue color of Paper 17 so I used it as a background. I wanted to layer several other bold patterned papers to contrast against the blue, so I tore big chunks of Paper 6Paper 11Paper 21, and Paper 24. I distressed the edges, layered them together, and used that as my main background design feature. Before adding mixed media to the blue background, I smudged lots of white gesso down. This gave me a bit of white space to work on and it prepped the paper for paints and sprays. I used a few matching colors of Shimmerz to add blue, green, and pink color peeking behind all of the papers and embellishments.


I layered a few of these papers behind my photo as well as some white tissue paper and adhesive foam. Once I decided on the placement, I tucked in some of the large Floral Die Cuts. I also used a few of the stickers from the 8-Page Sticker Book. I added dark blue thread here for added color and texture. Here you can see the fun background colors. I also splattered white acrylic paint and a few sprinklings of gold spray. I love that pretty shimmer!

Below the photo I went with a few titles. I used a Foam Phrase Sticker, a large sticker from the 8-Page Sticker Book, and some of the alpha Thickers. I layered in yellow thread and more flowers from the Floral Die Cuts and Epoxy Stickers. I wrote my journaling with a white pen so it would stand out against the blue background.
I layered in another large blue Floral Die Cut here on the right side as well as more blue thread. I love all of the bits and pieces in this collection that refer to “home” so I used a small “Right at Home” sticker from the 8-Page Sticker Book below the photo. I was pleased with how the mixed media turned out here - I wasn’t too sure about the blue ink spray on top of the blue background, but I think the tone-on-tone effect worked out nicely! The gesso helps tremendously with that. I also used my fingers to smudge a bit of the gesso around the photo on top of the red and pink paper - this helps to fade out some of the color & pattern to make the photo stand out a bit more.
I did a bit of machine stitching here on this sticker just to add a bit of texture and interest.  I love how the yellow thread pops against the dark blue background!  Here you can also see the difference that adhesive foam makes--it pops things up off the page to create some depth and shadowing.  I love it!
I love this faded look here.  Gesso is a miracle worker...haha!
I also love torn and distressed edges.  I rarely make things perfectly straight.  I have much better luck with making things crooked on purpose...haha :D
Here are a few more close-ups of all the details :)



I hope this has inspired you in some way today.  I enjoyed making this and putting it all together.  Be sure to check out my process video here:


Thanks so much for stopping by, and have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. I love this page. Wstched the video on YouTube. Was wondering, do you have a link to the thread you use on your layouts?

    ReplyDelete